• Home
  • About

    He’s here!!!!

    G is here! He was born early this morning via an unplanned c-section at 3:45am. He weighs in at 6.6lbs is 19in long and is incredibly precious to us. We can’t stop staring at him in amazement: 1) in that he’s ours; 2) in that he is just so awe-inspiring; and 3 (at least for me) that he fit in me just 24 hours ago! This last day has been very emotional for us: lots of happy tears, lots of kisses, and gentle caresses. It’s incredible how in just a few short moments a little person can help bind a couple even closer.

    For those that wanted the highlights, you can stop reading now. The rest what follows is his birth story. For the faint of heart, it may contain some yucky material, so you’ve been warned.

    As our previous post related I had a regularly scheduled appt w/ my OB at 10:45. During that visit she observed that I was at 1.5cm dilated and was having a contraction in her presence (even though I couldn’t feel it). Leaving her office S and I went out for lunch, which looking back on it was a brilliant move given the events that ensued shortly afterwards. During lunch I noticed some more contractions. Mild, spaced out.

    When we got home, I noticed even more contractions – still mild, still spaced out. For those curious (and can relate), they felt like light menstrual cramps. I thought to myself “Let’s go shower and shave, because if this moves forward today I might as well be ready”. While I was in the shower, in the span of those 40 minutes, I had another 4 contractions, each becoming a little bit more intense. I found myself squatting on the floor or bracing myself up against the wall and beginning to do the techniques we had learned in class. I think it was about 2pm at this time.

    S had some phone conferences in the afternoon, so he started those. He gave me his phone (a Palm Pilot), for which he had downloaded a contraction tracking application on. I started hitting Start & End at this time, and noticed that I was consistently seeing my contractions around every 10 minutes, lasting over 30 seconds.

    I started having the urge to go to the bathroom more and more now. I gotta say, after a few months of pregnancy-related constipation, the stuff your body produces right before labor is a very welcome change! The urges even to pee got stronger, so I just started walking around the house in my panties… and eventually I even gave up on those.

    My contractions kept increasing in frequency. All of a sudden, in the last 30 minutes of S’ work calls, I was consistently seeing them shorten to 5mins apart, lasting a minute, or well over a minute each time. This was happening fast! Surprisingly fast to be honest. I have to admit, looking back on it, I am thrilled S had decided to work from home as much as possible over the last week. If he was in the office when this all started, and I had to call him, I don’t think he would have made it home in time to get everything ready for us to go… and trust me, at that state, I was on the floor rocking myself into relaxation and in no condition to help load up the car, feed the kitty, or close up the house. We called the doc’s office around 5:30 after having a little over an hour of 5-1-1 contractions. We were told to start making our way to the hospital. Those were perhaps some of the hardest 12 minutes of driving for me. In getting to the car alone I had 1-2 contractions, and while I was in the car, I think I had 3. Sitting up, while contracting? Not comfortable!

    When we got to the desk at L&D I was hunched over forward, going through yet another contraction. The lady at the desk, perhaps not seeing me… or just being funny, looks up and asks “What are you guys here for?” I think I wanted to throw a shoe at her for that question. I waddled over to our labor room slowly and got into the stylish gowns they provide and got checked. I was already 5cm dilated.

    In the next 2-3 hours, I had progressed to 8cm. I lost my plug (over the toilet), and my water broke at about 7:30pm. I was so proud of myself. I was thinking “We could have a baby by midnight!” I was still tolerating the contractions well on my own and was happy to not have needed to ask for drugs. I spent my development between rocking myself in the bed on my side, rocking on all fours, rocking myself lying down on my back, rocking myself while standing propped up on the dining table, and rocking myself on the toilet seat. Notice a theme there? Rocking was key to making myself get through contractions and mellowing out afterwards. I had gone through The Plateau, and what I felt was the beginning of Transition. I had urges to push through my contractions, and I started to. The nurse said that technically this wasn’t good, but since I was making good progress to continue doing what I was going.

    Then things started to go fishy. An hour later, I was still only at around 8.5cm and my cervix was still present and swelling up to boot. We waited some more. My OB came in and checked me herself. She said that she’s noticing me dilated only to 7cm and my cervix was getting progressively more inflamed. I was so disheartened! This feeling alone, I’m sure contributed to the stall that happened. I was told to stop pushing with contractions. You have no idea how hard this was. At 11pm, my OB came in and assessed there had been no change. To boot, she observed that G was lying transverse (facing my hips rather than front or back). She tried turning him, with no luck. Although my OB has been incredibly supportive of our un-medicated birth approach (it’s actually her preferred approach), she was seeing that we might need some pharmaceutical intervention. She recommended Pitocin to see if that could kick start things again, and maybe through my increased contractions G would turn on his own. S and I talked about it in private and asked for an hour to try and induce things on our own. It didn’t work. I’ll be honest, I felt like I was failing and that the need for the medication was my fault. Having S tell me otherwise wasn’t enough. I had to hear it from a nurse.

    It was now almost midnight. I threw up! I had always known that this physical reaction was not uncommon and as I asked for S to get me my bucket, it was all over the floor. I hadn’t eaten anything since lunch, but I was drinking lots of water (as told that a person in labor should). What came out was pretty much pure water. As S scrambled, he was barefoot and slipped and fell. So here I am, in bed, not able to stop throwing up, watching my wonderful, supportive husband splat on his back in my sick. It was terrible!

    I got my IV in for the Pitocin. I hate needles, as you by now know. Although IVF and all the testing have helped this some, it’s still not anything pleasant for me. After 2 hours of increasing Pitocin there was no progress, either in my dilation, the swelling, or G’s position. What’s worse is that the monitoring I was on showed that with each contraction G’s heart rate was dropping. When it came to a dangerously close level we were told that we needed to move forward to a c-section. When the equipment to move forward with surgery was lining up around the door and the nurses/OB were starting to shuffle you realize this isn’t really a choice. This wasn’t anything that either S nor I wanted, but we had both agreed that our ultimate goal is to deliver our son safely. At this point I was already exhausted, and I just felt that my body had done all that it can. I believe my statement of consent was “Let’s cut this little guy out!” It was now 2:30am.

    I was ushered to the operating room. The anesthesiologist gave me a spinal tap. I won’t lie to you, after all the exhaustion, feeling numb felt so good! I lied down, started to shiver and I was out… asleep. Not from the medication, but I was just drained. I woke up to S on my right, hearing G’s little voice fill the room. Apparently the first words out of my mouth were “Is he still a boy?” I heard them announce his weight, and his height. He sounded good. They took him out of the surgery room into the NICU for his tests. S went with him, while I curiously observed my OB and a scrub nurse close me up through the reflection of the surgery room doors.

    They took me to a recovery room for awhile, where I slept some. It felt like S and G were taking a while to come back. When they did, I asked to nurse, which, although not easy, was pretty successful through the help of our nurse. Afterwards, G and S again went away to take his first bath. The one thing that’s terrible with a c-section is that you miss out on so much! I feel so fortunate to have S be here for all of this. Honestly, he’s ran the show over the last day. The poor man is exhausted, from helping me, being there for G. He’s been incredible and I genuinely would not have gotten through the day without his help and support. I feel very blessed to have him in my life!

    G is otherwise a very happy baby. He sleeps very well (at least he did today). We’re learning how to feed. It’s been difficult, but I’m committed to nursing so we’ll see how it works out.

    With that, I’ll leave you with some photos of our labor. They were taken by Augie, who graciously agreed to join us and document our journey. After things started going wacky Augie left us in private. I feel fortunate that we have what we do at least of the good parts. Enjoy!

    24 responses to “He’s here!!!!”

    1. maydaygirl says:

      Oh my gosh he is beautiful!!! and I love the labor pictures!!!

    2. Patty says:

      Wow! Congratulations on your beautiful little boy!!

      That all seems like it happened so fast, you have an amazing husband! And those pictures are awesome, I had never thought to have professionals done while giving birth. Very cool!

      Enjoy your little man and get some rest!

    3. Jessica says:

      Congratulations!!! Hes beautiful and those pics are amazing! It looks like you did one heck of a job Mom!!!

    4. Charmaine M. says:

      He gorgeous A! Congrats to you and your DH.


    5. Kelli says:

      Congratulations! He is absolutely adorable! Enjoy this special time w/ him! Awesome that you were able to have a pro photographer for some of the labor too!!!

    6. Kittylove says:

      First of all G is beautiful! I am so happy for you guys. A family with a son! All those implantation vibes have paid off and the result is a beautiful family.

      Secondly as I am sure you now know needing the pitocin and the c-section are not at all your fault. What is important is how strong you are. You did all those hours of labor without drugs and when you did need intervention you and S made the dicission that a healthy baby is more important that how he is born. And you are right! G is hear and healthy and happy and that is what matters most.

      I am so proud of you and so humbled by all those hours you went without drugs. You are an amazing woman A and I am so happy to call you my friend. S and you are already wonderful people, I can’t wait to watch you handle the joys and frustrations of parenting. Your going to be amazing at it.

    7. KellyMarie says:

      congrats again! Augie’s pics are awesome, how special for you to have those! The little man is precious 🙂

    8. Josie says:

      Congratulations! He is absolutely beautiful.

    9. libby08 says:

      What a amazing story. I cant wait to meet your handsome man!

    10. Rebecca says:

      Congratulations guys!
      He’s absolutely beautiful.

      Enjoy all the sleeping while it lasts.. you two should try to sleep whenever he is.
      Happy babymoon!

    11. Kelle says:

      he is beautiful! it is torture to be this far away from my nephew. give him hugs and kisses from all of us! take care, and get rest whenever possible. we love you all.

    12. Mrs.K&C says:

      Ah, your labor pictures are bringing back the pain from my labor! Ha!

      He’s beautiful, A – big huge congratulations to you. I can’t wait for our miracles to meet one day soon.

    13. christina says:

      Congratulations! What a gorgeous boy and the pics of your hubby being so attentive and supportive are amazing. Best wishes for a smooth transition to home (and I hope dh isn’t too sore from his fall!)

    14. Sarah says:

      Congratulations A and S! He is gorgeous!!

    15. Girlstylist says:

      Congratulations ! What an amazing birth story and pictures.
      Your pictures are absolutely incredible. Enjoy your time with G and you guys will be pros before you know it 🙂

      He is gorgeous !

    16. HUGE Congratulations A and S and Baby G! He is absolutely adorable!

    17. Kirsten says:

      Congratulations! I can’t wait to meet the little man and am so excited for the two of you.

    18. Liza says:

      Oh my goodness!!! I almost don’t check your blog today… !!
      First of CONGRATULATIONS .. G. is Gorgeous!!! awwww
      I’m glad everything turned out well.. you know, we can plan as much as we want, but ultimately, each birth experience is different… I was not going to go for drugs.. but like you, after an extreme round of vomiting, I was drained out and the dr. recommended some rest, as I had a way to go…. After pushing for 2.5hrs, Rodri had to be vaccummed, cause he was not coming out..
      In the end, the result is alwas as grand, magnificent, amazing and beautiful.. although quite tiny… and a healthy child is all one can ask for..
      Your hubby is a superstar.. What an amazing husband and dad to G.. You guys are very fortunate to have each other..
      I love the pics of your labor experience.. the look of support on S face is just amazing.. Such great memories.
      Welcome to mommyhood.. it’s one hard but truly amazing journey…


    19. Stefanomoris says:

      weeee, congratulations 🙂 -stef

    20. kfishie says:

      Congrats A!!!! And welcome baby G!!!

    21. Jamers125 says:

      Congrats! Sorry to hear it didn’t happen exactly like you wanted, but you have one beautiful baby boy on your hands now! :o)

    22. Congrats, A… am glad that you and G are doing well!

    23. augie says:

      I am so proud of you A. Congrats to you and S. I am soooo blessed to have friends like you guys. Now I am an “uncle”!! I love my little nephew already. Thanks so much for having me there with you guys. I wish I could have been there for the whole thing…but hey, at least I was there for a big part of it! Enjoy parenthood. One of the BEST thing EVER!!

    24. Paolo, Jess, and Giacomo says:

      Hello to the new little guy!! We can wait to meet him!

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *